Thursday, February 16, 2012

It's In The Water



Have you ever thought about what you are drinking? I have, ever since I was a little girl. I loved to drink water and milk, but I later learned that milk was making me really sick (lactose intolerance). Water then became my main squeeze (drink-wise) and I grew up on fresh well water. I also loved a good glass of iced green tea, but later, I learned that the tea was making me sick as well (not quite sure if I still believe that but for now, while my body heals itself, I am staying away). For me, I simply do not care for the taste of tap water. I pay for it every month, but I can hardly bare to choke it down. So, I have been buying bottled water for quite some time now, although I recently purchased a portable water filter bottle.

The documentary Tapped is about the bottled water industry and about a dirty little secret being kept from all of us. Did you realize that most of this industry is unregulated? I mean that when this information was brought to the public in 2009, there was one woman at the FDA in charge of protecting us as consumers when it comes to bottled water, and that was not her only job at the FDA. Maybe you already knew about this, but I can't help thinking if people knew all about it, why didn't anyone tell me? So I am sharing this information with you.

Bisphenol A is in many plastic bottles and I vaguely recall hearing about it as BPA. Of course, I have seen BPA-free (on products) and knew I should choose that instead of the item that would have BPA in it. You can read about the chemical (because that's what it is) above in the hyper link. I want you to notice what number is in the triangular symbol underneath the bottle you are drinking or the large plastic container you are storing your food or drink in. The link above shows the symbols that represent the conent Bisphenol A. Look for the number 3 or the number 7 (located inside a triangle-like symbol). I was at a friends house on Saturday and was telling her what I had learned and her husband walked over to their 5 gallon water container in their dining room and said out loud '3', the number 3 is in a triangle. My heart sickened because I knew that meant that they had been drinking water (as had I) that was stored in a container made with Bisphenol A. Their adult daughter was in the room with us and said aloud, "I give my baby that water" (she also had it in her home). I then recalled being so proud many years ago when my baby daughter (just toddling 24 years ago) was able to toddle over to the water source and push the button to get her own water. Little did I know that I was serving a volatile cocktail to not only myself but my daughter. By the way, I checked the 5 gallon water bottle at my office (different company) and it has a 3 on it as well, ughh. And as far as plain old individual serving bottled water (regulated by the FDA), look at the bottom of your bottle, if you see PET or PETE, it IS a petroleum based product (Polyethylene terephthalate).

BPA has known links to reproductive disorders, as well as cancers in both sexes. My daughter and I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, and I have recently read that benzene is attributed to the increase in this syndrome in women. While you are researching, be sure to take a look at this page on Benzene, go down to the graph that shows what is derived from Benzene and you will find Bisphenol A. These bottles are being made in petro chemical plants.

I recently found the New Cell Stainless Steel Portable Water Ionizer Pod and the information I have been reading makes sense. I learned years ago that cancer simply can't live in an alkaline environment, so the goal for all of us would be to make sure our bodies are not acidic, within reason. And I JUST found a bamboo portable water container with a GLASS insert called Bamboo Bottle!

We, as consumers have choices we make every day, and I really believe we are the ones with the control. As my friend told me on Saturday, I am going to call the company and tell them they can pick up this water container until they can bring me one without BPA in it. THAT type of thing is what gets action from corporations, because after all, for a corporation and it's investors, it's all about the money...bottom line, and it's in OUR water.

To your health,

Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment